Friday, September 6, 2013

UNIT 6! =)

The integral assessment asked us to close our eyes and for a minute or two rest into the natural ease of our mind and body. It then asked us to repeat the phrase:

May all individuals gain freedom from suffering.
May all individuals find sustained health, happiness and wholeness.
May I assist all individuals in gaining freedom from suffering.
May I assist all individuals in finding health, happiness and wholeness.

What does Dacher say? He says this mini practice will be helpful in expanding our hearts and minds and it will serve as an antidote to hatred and anger (Dacher, 2006).

I felt very calm, peaceful, just at ease after this exercise. I could definitely feel all the positive feelings just flow out of me towards others.

When I did the next exercise, I discovered, which I pretty much already knew deep down, that I had several areas I need to focus on. They were (are) psycho-spiritual flourishing and biological flourishing.  I really don't take time to focus on myself much. I am not practicing mediation every day like I wanted to (and other exercises like I should) and I am not keeping up with my nutritional and fitness goals like I was 2 months ago. I got out of everything when I started working full time and doing school work. There is no point in moving forward if I am not going to practice these things in my own personal life. How will I ever be successful in my own practice if I cannot practice them myself? Remember....practice what you preach."

With that said, I am going to focus more on time management and setting more time aside for myself and practicing more meditation. I would absolutely love to sign up for Tai Chi, or possibly yoga. As for the biological flourishing, I will focus more on biking, swimming, and I will be starting kick boxing in a week (I hope). I laid off most of the carbs I eat. I am trying to eat healthier. I'm actually eating grapes as I'm writing this rather than ice cream haha ;)  I'm ready to make my some healthy changes to my life. I mean I'm going to be 26 this year and I'm not getting any younger lol


Dacher, E. (2006). Integral health; the path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    I think that it is harder to focus on your self and your needs and easier to focus on others. I found the personal assessment to be a good tool to examine where we are at the current time. Which areas we should focus on for our current goals. I am currently working hard towards better fitness and nutritional health. I have had some setbacks but I have a plan, and a goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    I encountered the same major life changes recently--a new job and the start of school. I actually started working again after the term started otherwise I might have decided to hold off on starting the new term. It has been bittersweet as I have had to figure out how to balance coursework with teaching, but I've learned some very useful information that has been life-changing. I wish you much success in achieving that balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spending more time for yourself is a good idea. It helps a lot, I have set certain times of the week for myself and it has seemed to help. Whether its shopping, exercise or just being alone watching a movie, it gives you time alone and time to think. You will have to let me know about Tai Chi, It looks interesting and would be fun to try. I will have to find a location that offers it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,
    It is very hard to set time aside, especially when you have responsibilities to others. The thing is, if you don't take care of your mind, body and spirit, no one else will.

    I had to learn to say no. I had to learn to understand that my world and the world of the people I love will not stop if I say, I can't. My son my think otherwise but it doesn't.

    I find it takes longer to get to someplace to workout. So, I have invested my time into doing workout dvds and youtube videos at home. I trade with friends so that I get a variety of things. There are Tai Chi and Yoga videos on youtube that are great! I have even written some yoga poses that I like and created my own workout! Just a suggestion so that it may fit into your schedule.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think having a plan and goal is important no matter what task or tasks there is to accomplish. When being so busy it does take a lot of your time and it is also hard to find time for your self. I think if even we try and take 5 minutes out of everyday to just take a deep breath is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deanna,

    I agree. We need time to ourselves, even if we can only afford to give ourselves five minutes (though hopefully we can have 15-20 minutes at the least).

    Megan, I workout through online videos! :) Thank you for the advice! I absolutely love it. It sure beats spending gas money and gym membership fees. And you don't have to worry about feeling awkward around others.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanna,

    I agree. We need time to ourselves, even if we can only afford to give ourselves five minutes (though hopefully we can have 15-20 minutes at the least).

    Megan, I workout through online videos! :) Thank you for the advice! I absolutely love it. It sure beats spending gas money and gym membership fees. And you don't have to worry about feeling awkward around others.
    :)

    ReplyDelete