Introduction: Why is it important for health and
wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically?
What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?
We have all heard as well as mentioned
the saying, “practice what you preach”. I
think it is critical for professionals in any career to integrate (incorporate)
what they do into their own lives. I wouldn’t go to a hairdresser with bad
hair, a dentist with bad teeth, and certainly not a nutritionist who ate all
junk food. “To become agents of a more expansive health, we must begin with our
own life.” (Dacher, 2006, pg. 167). When it comes to integral health, you can
only learn so much from reading textbook material. It is important to
experience the effects of a developed psychological, spiritual, and physical
wholeness to fully grasp the possibilities of human flourishing. When we gain
this confidence it gives us the ability to “help others and create a better
world.” (Dacher, 2006, pg 167).
In reality I need to develop all three
areas to achieve my goals. I am significantly stronger physically then I am
psychologically and spiritually. I would like to find balance between these
three areas to obtain integral health and I see that this class has started to
help me already.
II. Assessment: How have you assessed your health in
each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and
psychologically?
I have evaluated my health in each
domain by determining which areas of my life that need attention and what
changes I want to make. I also used Dacher’s six principles of integral
assessment (as I’m sure most of you looked at as well). These principles are to
ease suffering and to promote human flourishing, determining the difference
between short and permanent suffering, immediate pleasure and long-term
flourishing, the essential development of the psychospiritual, deep listening
and guidance, and relevant development to current situation (Dacher, 2006, pg
106).
I would score my physical area of
wellness as strong. I am a strong gal J However, there is
always room for improvement. I can be inconsistent at times (who
isn’t).
I would score my psychological and
spiritual areas of wellness in the medium range. I have a very impatient mind
and tend to have no focus sometimes. My mind is constantly racing (especially
when I’m trying to fall asleep at night). I wish I could fall asleep as fast as
my husband does. Men seem to always fall asleep quicker (or is it just me who
thinks that?)
III. Goal development: List at least one goal you have
for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and
Spiritual.
My goal for my
physical wellness is to start running. I used to run all the time with my
Mother and my husband and then I just stopped. I would like to start off with a
5 K marathon (3 mile) and then continue to a 10 K (6 miles). I will be 26 this
December so hopefully by next Spring, I can run my first marathon. I think that
this will also help clear my mind and help with stress management. My goal for
my psychological wellness is to start meditating every day, which will take a considerable amount of practice. Right
now, I do it whenever I can. I could learn some pointers from my Father-in law.
He meditates every day! Last, my goal for my spiritual health is to begin some
type of prayer routine, and possibly start going back to church.
IV. Practices for personal health: What strategies can you
implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical,
Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or
practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.
Physical – Diet and Exercise. I am a pretty healthy person
except I don’t drink enough water like I should. I actually don’t drink much of
anything. If I am drinking, it is water, but for some reason I am never
thirsty. I need to change that.
Psychological – Subtle Mind and
Transforming Work Exercises. I have an extremely unfocused, unintentional train
of thoughts running through my mind constantly. By using the three steps of the
Subtle Mind exercise, Witnessing Mind, Calm Abiding Mind, and Unity
Consciousness, I can learn to not grasp at thoughts, but let them pass by. This would definitely
help me. When I am able to successfully accomplish this, I can learn to replace
reactivity with intention and gain enlightenment. One of my biggest stressors
in my life is actually fear of the unknown. However, I am starting to learn
that it is okay to not know what is going to happen in the future. It is the
same for everyone. No one knows what the future holds.
Spiritual – Prayer and Volunteer Work.
I love working with pets so I may start volunteering at the animal shelter
again. I always thought it
was great that people are because it seems to offer a sense of overall comfort.
I just could never make that "prayer" connection to my own life
without feeling like some sort of affiliation was necessary. However, I like
the idea of communication with the absolute because I think I need to make some
sort of connection with the universe. This can be done with prayer beyond the
physical or even meditation for ten minutes a day. As long as I am making some
sort of connection beyond myself. I would also like to make this connection
through regular volunteer work. I want to give back in a universal sense. Kind
of like a pay-it-forward type of deal.
V. Commitment: How will you assess your
progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you
use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?
Physically, I will assess my progress
by my health, my ability to maintain my eating schedule, and my physical
performance. I can start keeping a food journal as well as a workout journal. I
used to do this but I stopped for some reason. My long term plan is to sign up
for marathons and go to the gym 3-4 times a week.
Psychologically, I will assess my
progress by my ability to meditate, clear my thoughts, let thoughts pass by
without grasping them, and maintaining a positive attitude at every day. I will
maintain this long term by setting aside time everyday to practice these
exercises. I’ve already started and I have seen a change in me.
Spiritually, I will assess my progress
by my feeling of oneness with the universe and my ability to maintain
loving-kindness towards everyone. I will also assess my progress by the amount
of volunteer work and the service I can offer in six months. I love helping out
at the humane society so I will be be volunteering here. I can maintain these
long term by signing up for volunteer work and attending church on a regular
basis perhaps.
Reference
Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral health: the path to human flourishing. Laguna
Beach : Basic Health Publications.
Keeping a journal is a great idea. It will help so much. Keeping track is so good and keep you motivated. Good luck preparing for your marathon.
ReplyDeleteI agree when you stated "practice what you preach". This is some thing I do not do. I will be asked for advice and I give it, but I never follow my own advice. My daughter has a vlog channel on YouTube and she stated in her vlog last night that one reason why she loves me so much is because I give great advice and even if i was not her mom then she would still love me for who I am. After listening for a while I relaized, I am able to help other people with their issues and problems, but I never follow my own words. So I need to start doing this. I wish you the best in getting ready for your marathon. My sister in law and my 12 year old nephew runs in marathons all the time. I wish you nothing but the best.
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteI too believe that a journal will help me keep track of my progress. If I have it on paper then I can see where I need to improve or if I need to change something. Best of luck on your journey!
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI just had to laugh a bit when you mentioned your mind racing at night and causing you troubles sleeping at times and wishing to be able to fall asleep quickly like your husband. I laughed a bit because my wife tells me the same thing almost daily. Best of luck in goals