Describe your experience. Did you find it beneficial? Difficult? Why or why not? Would you recommend this to others? Why or why not?
The loving kindness exercise was a different kind of experience. It was joyful, touching, and emotional. I felt all of the love and kindness I have when I thought about the people I really care about in my life. I could just feel all of the happy feelings surrounding me. It was a relaxing, calming, and pleasant feeling. However, when I started thinking about my loved ones suffering, it was somewhat overwhelming to me. Though it says not to be concerned with being overwhelmed, I couldn't help it. I like the statement "from now on, breathe out health, happiness, and wholeness to loved ones. Take in the suffering of your loved ones on the in-breath, and on your out-breath send out health and joy." I like that idea. I would recommend this to others because I think there are some who would definitely benefit from this.
What is the concept of "mental workout"? What does the research indicate are the proven benefits of a mental workout? How can you implement mental workouts to foster your psychological health?
In my opinion, "mental workout" implies exercising our mind or working our brain to be healthier. According to Dacher (2006) "mental workout" means utilizing contemplative practices to help tame the mind''s constant mental activities and train it along with opening one's heart, expanding consciousness, and progressing towards psychospiritual flourishing. The goal is for progressive development of an expanded consciousness and healing within the mind, body, and spirit. Loving-kindness, and subtle mind. :)

I think for most of us it was easy to focus on our loved ones healthy, happy, and loved. We take joy in picturing our loved ones living a full healthy life. It is heartbreaking though to think of someone suffering. It's comforting to feel as if we can give someone relief from their suffering by taking in their pain and releasing health and joy in their direction. Now when we say it or hear someone say "I wish I could do something to help" we use this exercise or tell them about this.
ReplyDeleteJessica, I am glad that you found this exercise to be so wonderful, I really had a hard time with this one because I am not good at visualization. I love your definition of a mental workout! Great blog.
ReplyDeleteLori